Sridevi's death: Dubai police questions husband Boney Kapoor
DUBAI: Dubai authorities Tuesday were probing the unnatural death of Bollywood superstar Sridevi, who died at the weekend due to drowning in her hotel bathtub.
"The death of Indian actress Sridevi occurred due to drowning in her hotel apartment´s bathtub following loss of consciousness," the Dubai police tweeted Monday, citing a post-mortem.
Initial reports had cited a heart attack as the cause of her death.
Police have now referred the case to the public prosecutor, which is further investigating the matter after new information emerged about the circumstances the actress died in.
Sridevi -- one of the biggest names in Hindi cinema -- died Saturday night in Dubai, where she had been attending her nephew´s wedding.
Her body was expected to be released today which will then be flown back to Mumbai on a charter flight.
Dubai-based Khaleej Times reported that the Public Prosecution will conduct further investigation with regard to circumstances that led to her drowning.
Meanwhile, sources also informed Khaleej Times that the laboratory results revealed she had consumed alcohol and was in an inebriated state when she slipped and fell into the bathtub that was filled with water.
Quoting unnamed sources Indian media reported that in case of an emergency a patient can be shifted to a medical facility within seven minutes but Sridevi was dead when she reached the hospital.
Her husband, filmmaker Boney Kapoor was also called in for investigation on Tuesday and his statement was recorded.
According to earlier reports, Kapoor called in emergency services after 15 minutes when she didn’t respond to his calls.
Even after three days there are still some unanswered questions:
1. What happened in the time that Boney found Sridevi unconscious and informed the police?
2. What was the exact time of death?
3. How did Boney Kapoor force open the bathroom door?
4. Was the bathtub full? The death certificate of Sridevi lists the cause of death as 'accidental drowning'. Yesterday, Gulf News said that according to the autopsy report, the bathtub was filled with water when Sridevi was found.
5. Was there any head injury on Sridevi, that could have indicated a fall in the bathroom?
Another report by Indian daily Mid-Day said that the hotel staff raised alarm when the actress didn’t respond to multiple calls of a room server denying earlier reports that claimed her husband was with her in her last moments